Message from the HBC
HBC would like to re-emphasize our support for you as you navigate through these challenging times. Please feel free to reach out to anyone in our group for support. If you have questions on your grants, or need to look into supplements for funding, we are here to help. Just let us know. Stay safe and well.
Biomedical Sciences Symposium Postponed
Due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak, the Biomedical Sciences Symposium will be postponed until late summer or early fall of 2020. The organizers will announce the rescheduled symposium date as soon as possible. All updates will be posted on the Biomedical Sciences Symposium website.
J.R. & Inez Jay Fund Proposal Submission
Applications for the 2020 J.R. & Inez Jay Fund proposal submission are currently being accepted. The instructions and application forms are available on the HBC website. Two awards not to exceed $30,000 each will be funded this year. Please be sure to apply by the April 3, 2020 deadline.
NIH Updates and Information on Emergency Competitive Revision to Existing NIH Awards
- The NIH announced that emergency supplemental funds may be available to existing NIH awards due to the disaster and public health emergency declared earlier this month. To get more information, review the full announcement PA-20-135.
- The NIH has set up a webpage that provides COVID-19 information for NIH applicants and recipients. The webpage provides guidance for proposal submission and award management, human subjects and clinical trials, animal welfare, and peer review. Also, posted on that page, are funding opportunities specific to COVID-19. However, that page is not updated daily to reflect new funding opportunities. Be sure to check NIH’s Active Funding Opportunities and Notices to view the latest COVID-19 Notices of Special Interest (NOSIs).
- A Notice on Policy Regarding Minimum Level of Effort for the NIH National Cancer Institute (NCI) funded awards was issued on March 3, 2020. This notice indicates the new required minimum level of effort the principal investigators (and project leaders on multi-project grants) must commit to be eligible for NCI funding through R01/U01, P01 and R21 grant mechanisms. The minimum requirements for R35, P50, and P30 grant mechanisms remain unchanged.
Minimum Level of Effort in calendar months/year (%)
1.8 months (15%)
1.2 months (10%) each
1.8 months (15%)
1.2 months (10%)
PI and Project PI
3 months (25%)
0.6 months (5%)
0.6 months (5%)
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the NIH Regional Seminar in Baltimore (April 20 - April 22) has been cancelled and registrations are being refunded. The next NIH regional seminar will be held in Nashville, TN, October 28-30, 2020. In addition, the 21st Annual U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Small Business Programs Conference has been postponed. Updates will be sent to registered attendees and will be posted on their website.
- Reminder: the NIH eRA modules and data will not be available from 8 am ET on April 17 to 8 pm ET on April 20 due to NIH’s cloud migration. Any affected due dates will be extended for a full two days.
O’Leary SSC Satellite Office Update
The O’Leary SSC is discontinuing the west campus satellite hours effective immediately. If you need to meet with the SSC, please contact them.