- 2018 Evaluations – The 2018 Staff Performance Evaluation forms are now available in the Performance Management System. Please be sure to complete your self-evaluation by January 11, 2019. For assistance in completing the form, you can use the Performance Evaluation Step-by-Step Instructions on the Human Resource Management Website or enroll in training through the Learning Management System (LMS) or contact Human Resource Management at email@example.com or 785-864-4946.
- New Voluntary Life Insurance/Long Term Care Benefit – A new Life Insurance/Long Term Care benefit is being offered in 2019 for KU staff and family members. An initial enrollment period with reduced qualifying questions will be available from November 1 through December 31, 2018. To get more information about this benefit, you can register for one of the three sessions that will be held at the Kansas Union Alderson Auditorium on November 5, 2018 at 9:00 am, 10:00 am and 11:00 am, or for workshops that will be held at other times and locations.
- Discretionary Day – the last day to use the 2018 Discretionary Day before losing it is December 29, 2018
Kansas IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (K-INBRE) Call for Proposals
The K-INBRE Incentives and Awards Committee is calling for proposals to support three types of awards:
- Bridging Grants: Funding will not exceed $40,000 in direct costs.
- Partnerships for Translational Research Training Awards: Funding will not exceed $50,000 in direct costs.
- Postdoctoral Awards: Funding will not exceed $25,000 in direct costs for one period of funding.
KU-Lawrence submissions should have a signature from an authorized official prior to submission to the KINBRE Administrative Office. The deadline to submit is December 1, 2018 at 5:00pm. Awards will be announced by May 1, 2019. For more information on these and other K-INBRE funding opportunities, visit the K-INBRE webpage.
Steven F. Warren Research Achievement Award Recipient for year 2018
We would like to congratulate Justin Douglas for winning this year’s Steven F. Warren Research Achievement Award that honors an outstanding unclassified academic staff researcher from KU’s Lawrence Campus. In addition to being the director of the Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Laboratories, Justin is also the director of the COBRE Biomolecular NMR Laboratory. The award ceremony is scheduled for 3: 30 pm on November 9 at the Shankel Structural Biology Center.
New NIH Center for Scientific Review Videos
The NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR), which carries out the Peer Review Process for the majority of NIH applications and assesses their scientific and technical merit, recently posted two informational videos:
- What Happens to Your NIH Grant Application: Gives an overview of the NIH Peer Review Process.
- Top 10 peer review Q&As for NIH applicants: Ten experts from the NIH Center for Scientific Review answer the top ten questions from applicants about the Peer Review process.
In addition, the Center posted a list of the top 100 NIH Peer Review Q&As.
NIH Policies to Address Sexual and Gender Harassment
NIH recently clarified its policies, and highlighted actions they are taking to address sexual and gender harassment in the extramural research community. Additional information on the subject can be found at:
- NIH Office of Extramural Research Anti-Sexual Harassment webpage
- NIH Anti-Sexual Harassment website
- NIH Director’s Statements
- Changing the culture of science to end sexual harassment (September 17, 2018)
- Additional Information on Sexual Harassment Policy at NIH (September 19, 2018)